Shrimp Biryani is an ultimate flavored dish made with shrimp and rice. The exotic range of ingredients are used to give a unique turn to shrimp and incredibly presented with unique garnishing ingredients.
Preparation time: 15-17 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 4 cups shrimp (deveined and shelled)
- 1-1/2 cups rice (preferable long grained)
- 4 tbsp coconut (grated)
- 2 medium size onions finely chopped
- 4 green chillies chopped
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 peppercorns
- 2 cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Salt to taste
- Few nuts chopped
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Few white rice cooked
- Few yellow rice cooked
How to make Shrimp Biryani:
- Wash the rice in normal running water.
- Soak them in 3 cups of water and keep aside.
- Boil them and drain aside
- Combine sesame seeds, bay leaf, carom seeds, peppercorns, cardamoms and cinnamon.
- Saute in a non-stick pan and add grated coconut.
- Saute just for few seconds, allow to cool and then grind to make a smooth paste.
- Melt the ghee in a heating pan, add ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Saute for few seconds on medium high heat and immediately add chopped onion.
- Fry onion until tenders.
- After few constant stirrings add shrimp, salt, 2 cups water and coconut and spice paste.
- Mix well and coat the shrimps with spices and onion.
- Simmer the flame and cover the pan.
- Leave to cook for about 8-10 minutes and then stir with red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and lemon juice.
- Finally add boiled rice.
- Toss and cook only for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with garnishing ingredients and serve hot with raita of your choice.
- You can cook shrimp and rice together in a pan, for that do not boil the rice separately.
- From the cooked boiled white rice, set some rice aside, color few with red-orange food color and few with turmeric powder and then use them for garnishing.
- You may top the rice with little amount of butter at the time serving.