Palak Gosht is the tremendous and mouth-watering combination of spinach and goat meat. It is the special Punjabi delicacy cooked in Indian spices and then served with a roundel of fresh cream.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- 1 bunch spinach
- 300 gms goat meat
- 6-8 green chillies
- 1 onion cut into chunks
- 2 tomatoes cut into chunks
- 8-10 cloves garlic
- 2 inch ginger piece
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 black peppercorns
- 1 inch cinnamon bits
- 2-3 cloves
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp meat powder
- 1 tbsp fresh cream
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Salt to taste
How to make Palak Ghosht:
- Chop the spinach leaves finely and wash thoroughly in normal tap water.
- Cut the mutton into medium size pieces and clean thoroughly.
- Boil the spinach in salted boiling water for about 4-5 minutes.
- Squeeze and blend along with onion, tomatoes, green chillies, sesame seeds, ginger and garlic.
- Melt the ghee in a pan and add bay leaf, cumin seeds, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon bits.
- Saute whole spices just for few seconds and add spinach paste, chopped mutton, salt and all other spices except fresh cream.
- Stir fry on high flame for about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and cover the pan.
- Cook until mutton tenders and the curry thickens.
- Garnish with the fresh cream and serve with roti, rice or naan.
- You may garnish palak ghosht with chopped dry fruits.
- If spinach tastes bitter then add little bit of sugar while cooking.
- Oil can be used instead of ghee.