Dhabe Da Meat is the special Punjabi delicacy of lamb meat cooked in the pure ghee and combined flavors of cardamoms, poppy seeds and whole dried spices.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
Servings: 6 persons
- 500 gms lamb meat
- 2 tbsp thick yogurt
- 4 green chillies chopped
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 4-5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 green cardamoms
- 2-3 black pepper corns
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tbsp shah jeera
- 1/2 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 big onion cut into chunks
- 4 tomatoes cut into chunks
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee
How to make Dhabe da Meat:
- Make the separate paste of onion and tomato chunks. Keep aside.
- Cut the lamb into medium size pieces and wash thoroughly in normal running water.
- Combine the yogurt, salt, lemon juice, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
- Mix very well and add the poppy and sesame seeds in the mixture.
- Add the pieces of lamb in the marination and leave aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Melt the ghee in a non-stick pan.
- Add bay leaves, peppercorns, shah jeera and cardamoms.
- Saute for few seconds and add ginger-garlic.
- Stir on medium high flame and add onion paste along with green chillies.
- Stir constantly until onion paste turns into nice golden color.
- Now add marinated lamb and adjust with the salt and seasoning.
- Pour the tomato paste/puree over the lamb and cover the pan.
- Leave to cook for about 12-13 minutes until lamb tenders.
- Stir frequently till oil begins to separate.
- Add 1 cup of water and again leave to cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Finally garnish with kasuri methi and chopped coriander.
- Serve delicious dhabe da meat with roti, naan or rice.
- You can use oil instead of ghee, but ghee tastes better in this recipe.
- You can garnish dhabe da meat with little bit of fresh cream and chopped nuts just before serving.