Turnip is commonly known as a white turnip, that is a root vegetable commonly grown in temperate climates worldwide for its white, bulbous tap-root. Generally small, tender turnip are grown for human consumption and Turnip Pickle is one of the healthy option in our pickle menu.
Yield: 18 servings
- 1 kg Turnips (Shalgam) (cut into thick round slices)
- 20-25 dry Dates (Khajoor)
- 2 tsp Onions seeds (Kalonji)
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)”
- 1-1/2 tsp whole black peppercorn
- 1 cup Mustard Oil (Sarson Ka Tel)
- 1 cup Sugar (Cheeni)
- 2 tbsp Garlic (Lasun) cloves
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 cup Vinegar (Sirka)
- 3 tbsp seedless golden Raisins (Kishmish)
- Salt to taste
How to make Turnip Pickle:
- Put the spices and sugar in a grinding jar and grind coarsely.
- Also grind the dry dates and raisins with a little vinegar.
- Rub salt on turnip pieces and keep at room temperature for about 5 hours.
- Heat the oil in a pan and saute garlic till turns golden brown.
- Saute turnips as well until becomes dry.
- Add vinegar, ground spices along with remaining ingredients.
- Put the pickle mixture in a clean air tight jar and shake once daily.
- This pickle takes 6-7 days to get ready.