Coconut Podi is also famous as a dry coconut spice powder or a chutney powder that can be easily made at home just by mixing coconut, lentils and whole red chillies. It is a typical South Indian dish that is highly used to flavor several South Indian dishes.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 12-15 minutes
- 2 cups coconut (narial) (scraped and grated)
- 4 tbsp split black gram (urad dal)
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 8 whole Kashmiri red chillies
- 4 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
How to make Coconut Podi:
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a big non-stick pan and fry the grated coconut until turns to brownish in color.
- Cool aside and till that proceed for further steps.
- Heat the remaining oil and temper the seeds along with whole red chillies.
- Add urad dal and roast for few seconds on medium high flame.
- Remove the mixture from flame and cool aside.
- Now mix all the ingredients and grind to a coarse powder.
- Store in an air tight jar / bottle for further use.