The name is different and unique, but the recipe is quite common in South India. Cabbage Poriyal is made with lots of grated coconut, split black lentils and cabbage. Best to serve as a side dish or can be served with dosa as well.
Preparation time: 8 minutes
Cooking time: 12-15 minutes
- 3 cups fresh cabbage finely chopped
- 1 tbsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 4 green chillies halved
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry coconut finely grated
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
How to make Cabbage Poriyal:
- Heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies and mustard seeds.
- Saute for few seconds and add urad dal.
- Allow to splutter and simmer the flame.
- Add finely chopped onions and fry until onions are golden brown.
- Now add chopped cabbage. Mix well.
- Season the dish with salt and turmeric powder.
- Also add 1/2 cup water.
- Mix and keep the flame medium high by stirring occasionally.
- Cook covered for 5-7 minutes till the veggie tenders and little bit dries.
- When the cabbage is done, add grated coconut and stir well.
- Serve hot with roti, puri or paratha.