Besan sev is simply made from chickpea flour and crushed Indian herbs. It is a favorite Indian snack delight or called numkeen and comes under the category of variety of Chaat’s or a plain snack dish that is best to serve with tea or coffee.
Preparation time: 10-12 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- 2 cups chickpea flour (besan)
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 3-4 crushed cloves
- 1/4 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- Salt as per taste
- Oil to deep-frying
- Sev Maker
How to make besan sev:
- In a big bowl, combine all the ingredients very well and stir in with the spices as well.
- Gradually add little amount of water by continuous mixing with the spoon.
- Try to make a soft dough, because we have to press it through the sev maker.
- Cover and keep the dough aside for 10-12 minutes.
- Heat good amount of cooking oil in a pan.
- Take the sev maker and use the disk having the smallest holes.
- Now grease the inside of sev maker and fill half with the dough.
- When the oil is hot enough, then reduce the heat, bring the sev press over the oil and start pressing.
- When the noodles fall slowly, move the maker in a circular motions to avoid them from sticking together.
- Take a fork and separate the sev while it’s frying.
- Fry the sev for 1-2 minutes and then turn them to other side.
- Fry the sev very quickly for 1-2 more minutes over medium heat.
- When the sev turns to golden in color, then remove it from the hot oil and lie on paper napkin.
- Reduce the heat before frying the remaining sev and follow the same process with the remaining dough.
- After the sev cool downs completely, store it in air tight container.
- Enjoy the crispy, homemade besan sev with tea or coffee or use them for making variety of snack dishes.