Kabuli chana are famously known as chole, Punjabi chole, garbenzo beans or white chick peas. This is one of the versatile dish of Indian cuisine, having a nutty and creamy flavor. White chickpeas are one of the most famous edible legumes of firm texture.
Kabuli Chana are the small size chickpeas. They are hard enough with a nice beige colored beans of equal size. They are shaped and made like hazelnuts. It is very important that kabuli chana must be soaked in the water for 8-10 hours or for overnight.
The soaking of maximum time makes them double in size and gives a smooth texture at the time of cooking. Kabuli chana plays a vital role in Indian cuisine, it is a special delicacy when are to be served with hot bhatura. These chickpeas are soaked, boiled and then made as per the recipe requirement.
At the time of buying always check for the stones, seeds, sticks or broken chana and then avoid to buy. They are easily available in bulk loose quantity or in packages, even canned chana are also there in the market. If you are going for a packaged kabuli chana, then check its manufacturing and expiry dates.
- Soaked and boiled kabuli chana can be eaten as it is or made in the gravies and curries.
- Delicious Punjabi Choley Bhature is the special preparation of kabuli chana.
- Soak them well in advance and then pressure cook for making in onion and tomato puree, this method will save your time and energy and at the same time you will be able to enjoy a delicious main course dish.
- At the time of boiling add little bit of salt and then serve by adding chopped onion, tomato, chaat masala and nylon sev or papdi, this will be your great morning or evening healthy snack dish.
- Kabuli chana can be variant with other legumes to make a healthy sprouts dish.
- Make the boiled kabuli chana with other ingredients and spices and then serve with piping hot bhature.
- In the gravies and curries of chickpeas recipes, try to add butter and yogurt, you will be amazed with the energy of its protein power.
- Boiled chickpeas are highly used for making hummus.
- You can make various delicious and healthy salads, soups and stews with the help of boiled chickpeas.
- Chickpeas in rich tomato puree, topped with blanched nuts and served with the steamed or jeera rice is a wonderful combination and a balanced meal.
- Boiled or cooked chickpeas are to be mashed and then make the small size balls, these balls can be fried or used for making variety of baked recipes.
- Try to make a tasty and nutritious garbenzo curry recipe and satisfy your hunger.
- Cooked chole along with green veggies are used for making variety of delicious wraps, rolls and frankies.
- You can store the soaked kabuli chana in the refrigerator for 2-3 days and can be used for making future recipes.
- You can store canned chickpeas for up to 2 years, if refrigerated properly.
- Dried chick peas should be stored in air tight container at a proper room temperature.
- You may store cooked chickpeas in the refrigerator for few days, also you can freeze them for up to 2 months.
- It is important to keep them away from the moisture and liquid things and they should be placed at cool and dry place.
- White Chickpeas is a versatile source of protein in the human body.
- It helps in boosting the protein power and energy, which is a basic requirement for the healthy body.
- Chickpeas consist natural protein and vitamins which helps in muscle and body building.
- They helps in smooth growth of a child.
- They are low in fat and cholesterol.
- Boiled chickpeas are highly beneficial to provide protein, foliate and zinc in the body.
- Chickpeas are high dietary fibre, which is an ultimate source of carbohydrates, hence strongly recommended to the diabetics.
Apart from all the advantages, it can not be ignored that these chickpeas are highly heavy in digestion and can cause flatulence. That’s why they should be eaten during lunch time and not in dinner time. Senior citizens and small children may not be able to digest them well and could cause gastric problems and pain in the stomach. So it is advisable to avoid cooking them in the dinner time.