Indian Egg curry is the delicious main course dish, made with the boiled eggs in the rich Indian red gravy and spices. It is an extremely tasty and a quick dish to serve. You may serve it as a main course dish with the roti or as a side dish along with dal and rice. In any ways this dish is irresistible to eat.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- 4 eggs boiled
- 2 onions sliced
- 6 tomatoes sliced
- 4-6 green chillies
- 1 inch ginger
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 4 green cardamoms
- 4 cashew nuts
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 fresh lemon juice
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
Whole garam masala:
- 1 dried red chilli
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 3-4 peppercorns
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick (broken in bits)
How to make Indian Egg Curry:
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add onion. Fry until onion turns into slightly golden in color.
- Switch off the gas, leave onion to cool and then put in the blender.
- Also add the tomatoes, green chillies and ginger in the same blender.
- Blend to make a smooth puree or paste. Keep aside.
- Combine the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, green cardamoms and cashew nuts in a grinding bowl.
- Grind to make a powder. Set aside.
- Now in the same kadhai (in which the onion was fried) add whole garam masala. Saute for few seconds.
- Now add cumin and mustard seeds along with curry leaves.
- When there seems enough spluttering then add the ground puree.
- Add salt, red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Mix well and cover the pan to cook until oil begin separating.
- Now add little bit of water, grounded powder of seeds and bring to few boils on low flame.
- You will see the nice color of gravy has come out.
- At this moment add lemon juice and coriander powder. Mix well.
- Now half slit all the boiled eggs vertically and add in the gravy.
- Mix very gently to coat the eggs, simmer the flame and leave to cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Check the gravy with the boiled eggs is thickened or not or leave to cook again.
- Finally garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot with the roti, bread slice or rice.
- You may try adding boiled potatoes along with the eggs.
- You must serve this dish immediately because keeping it long time makes the gravy too thick, which may not be preferred.
- Do not let the eggs to break in the gravy for the good presentation.