Masala Puri is the special Gujarati delicacy cooked with whole wheat flour, maida and spices. It is an idle option can be served either as a breakfast recipe or as a snack dish.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour (maida)
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A pinch of baking soda
- A pinch of ajwain
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 green chilli thinly chopped
- Salt to taste
- Little bit of fresh cilantro chopped
- Oil to deep fry
For Garnishing you need:
- 1 onion thinly chopped
- 1 tomato thinly chopped
- Chaat masala to sprinkle
- 2 tsp nylon sev
How to make Masala Puri:
- Sieve both the flours and combine them in a big bowl.
- Add salt and all other ingredients.
- Add enough water and knead into a firm dough.
- Cover and keep the dough aside at least for 20-25 minutes
- Heat sufficient oil in a pan.
- Take small portions or balls of the dough and roll out to make small puri.
- Deep fry the puris in hot oil until turns into nice golden brown in color.
- Garnish with garnishing ingredients.
- Serve masala puri on the spot with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
- If you do not want oily masala puris then you can bake them in the oven as well.
- Another way is to shallow fry them on hot tawa with little amount of oil.
- Adjust the spices as per your requirement.
- Serve these masala puris immediately else become soggy within 15-20 minutes.