Paneer Badshahi is the rich and exotic gravy dish, here cottage cheese is cooked in badshahi masala and coconut gravy. This paneer is badshahi in taste and nature. The wonderful and unique dish is stolen from the shahi Punjabi Cuisine. Serve Paneer Badshahi with your choice of rotis, naan’s or rice.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 200 gms paneer cubes or diced
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 cup dry coconut chopped
- 4 green chillies
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds (Ajwain)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cup sterilized milk
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil
- Oil to deep fry
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
For making Badshahi Masala you need:
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 piece of mace ((Jaipatri))
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp watermelon seeds
- 5-6 cashew nuts
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds (white til)
- 3 cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
How to make Paneer Badshahi:
- Heat the sufficient oil in a pan, deep fry the cubes of paneer and keep aside on oil absorbent paper.
- In a grinding bowl combine all the ingredients of badshahi masala and make a smooth powder. Keep aside.
- Now in a sauce pan add chopped onion, green chillies, dry coconut, ginger and garlic. Roast it for few seconds without adding oil or water.
- Leave to cool and then blend to make a smooth paste.
- Heat a kadhai and add ghee.
- If your ghee is thick enough then stir until melted.
- Add carom seeds, saute just for few seconds.
- Now add the paste of onion and coconut.
- Also add salt and red chilli powder.
- Mix well, cook on low flame until browned.
- Add the roasted ground powder. Mix and wait until ghee starts leaving the sides of a kadhai.
- Now add milk and fried paneer. Keep stirring until few boils.
- Simmer the gas and add coriander powder and lemon juice.
- Cook for 2 more minutes and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with naan, roti or kulcha.
- You may try this dish without using fried paneer, It means you can use paneer as it is.
- This is a medium thick gravy recipe, so you may adjust with the water if required.
- While serving you may add a tsp of rose essence and some dry fruits for flavoring and garnishing.