Eggs are also known as unda or baida. An egg is a round or oval body, that is laid by the female of any number of different species, consisting of an ovum surrounded by layers of membranes and an outer casing, which acts to nourish and protect a developing embryo and its nutrient reserves.
Some eggs such as bird eggs and turtle eggs, consist of a protective, oval eggshell, the albumen (egg white), the vitellus (egg yolk) and various thin membranes. They are called as Edible eggs and each and every part is edible.
Generally the eggshell is discarded. Eggs are considered a very good source of protein and choline. Roe and caviar are edible eggs, that are produced by fish. Birds eggs are a common food and one of the most versatile ingredients used in cooking. They are the most important type of eggs in the food industry.
Chicken eggs and Duck eggs are the most commonly used bird eggs. They might be small or big in size. The smaller eggs called as quail eggs are occasionally used as a gourmet ingredient, where as the largest bird eggs from ostriches are called as Gull eggs are considered a delicacy in England.
Always buy the best quality chicken eggs and check the best before dates on the box. Inspect the eggs thoroughly to see whether they are broken or cracked eggs and also test the weight by holding one in your hand. If the egg is heavy, that means it is a fresh egg.
- Eggs can be used in different ways, you can have them in breakfast and snack time.
- They can be boiled, half boiled, half fried, fried, shallow fried, etc.
- You can make delicious egg curry recipe with fully boiled eggs.
- Variety of veg and non-veg omelettes can be made from the eggs.
- Chicken eggs are widely used for making several types of savory and sweet dishes.
- Soft-boiled eggs are a favorite breakfast dish of children and adults.
- Egg white can be used in cooking by separating from the yolk and can be aerated or whipped to a light and fluffy consistency.
- Egg yolks are an important emulsifier in the kitchen, the proteins in egg yolks allow it to form foams and aerated variety of dishes.
- Eggs can be pickled, hard-boiled, soft-boiled, scrambled, fried and even consumed raw as egg nog.
- Quail eggs are considered a delicious delicacy in many countries. They are used raw or cooked as tamago in sushi.
- Beaten egg whites are highly used to make various types of bakery food items and desserts such as meringues and mousse, etc.
- Fried eggs are highly served with toasted buttery bread slices and can be placed alongside a couple of rashers of cooked bacon, may be alongside by baked beans, fried mushrooms and fried tomatoes.
- Eggs must be stored in the refrigerator at a temperature of 40°F (4°C).
- Always Keep them in the original carton and place them on one of the shelves inside the fridge, where the temperature is cold and consistent.
- Do not store the eggs inside the fridge door, from where the warm air enters.
- Eggs may be kept for up to five weeks if stored properly in the refrigerator.
- Make sure that the eggs are kept in the same position in which they were packaged with the pointed end facing downwards, this can prevent the damage to the air cell.
- Egg white contains protein, which is good for the healthy body.
- It does not contains any cholesterol or fats.
- Egg yolk contains a good amount of fat and other type of nutrients, that are good to gain the weight.
- Egg yolk is best for the growing kids and under-weight people.
- Eggs contains a good amount of protein, hence excellent for dry hairs and face as well.
- Eggs supply all types of amino acids for humans and provides several vitamins and minerals that includes vitamin A, riboflavin, folic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, choline, iron, calcium, phosphorus and potassium.
- Eggs are considered as an inexpensive single-food source of protein.
- Cooked eggs are easier to digest and having lower risk of salmonella infection.
- Egg yolk is rich in cholesterol, hence must be consumed in moderation by heart patients and diabetics.
- Egg yolk contains a lot of Vitamin A, D and E.