It is a delicious combination of butter, cream, honey and all other classy flavors, (Indian Butter Chicken) is also known as Murg Makhani. Chicken Makhani is a rich and creamy gravy recipe. This recipe is a part of Indian Cuisine and is World Famous Recipe. It is my favorite dish, you will may also like it.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 persons
- 350 gms boneless chicken (skin removed)
- 2 onions (cut into slices)
- 5-6 tomatoes (each tomato cut into 4 pieces)
- 1 cup fresh yogurt
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 5-6 green chillies paste
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds(khas-khas)
- 4 whole cashew nuts
- 4-5 roasted almonds
- 4-5 green cardamoms
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole dry red chillies (break it up)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (break up in 3-4 small pieces)
- 1 pod black cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 4-5 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red orange food color
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup fresh curd
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi)
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- salt to taste
How to make Chicken Makhani (Indian Butter Chicken):
- Cut the chicken into small pieces and add salt, red chilli powder,1 tsp lemon juice and keep aside on a plate.
- In the meantime take a mixing bowl, add yogurt, ginger-garlic-green chillies paste, salt and mix well.
- Now add chicken in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly in the marination of yogurt and keep it aside at least for an hour.
- In a sauce pan heat little bit of oil and add green cardamoms, black cardamom, cloves and black peppercorns, saute them for a minute and let it to cool.
- In a grinding bowl grind the fried ingredients(mentioned in 4th step) and make a fine powder.
- Again in a grinding bowl add khas-khas, sesame seeds, cashew nuts and almonds, grind well to make a smooth powder and keep aside.
- Heat up a pan add oil.
- As oil heats add cumin seeds, sliced onions and fry till onion turns into golden brown color.
- Take out onion from a pan, leave it to cool.
- In a grinding bowl add fried onion with cumin seeds and chopped tomatoes, make a fine puree.
- Heat up a pan, add oil, bay leaves, dry red chillies, cinnamon stick and saute for a minute on a medium high flame.
- Add red puree, salt, red chilli powder and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add marinated chicken, coriander powder and both ground powders (step 5 and 6) and mix evenly in the chicken.
- Cover the pan and leave chicken to cook at least for 4-5 minutes on low gas flame.
- Add little bit of water in between.
- Now add honey, butter and 1 tsp lemon juice, do not mix them in the chicken.
- Cover the pan again and leave to cook for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Let the chicken gets all the aroma’s of butter and spices.
- Add red orange color and crush kasuri methi all over with your palms and mix well.
- Finally add fresh cream, mix well.
- Cook for a minute and Garnish with lots of fresh cilantro and mint leaves.
- Serve hot with naan or plain rice.
- You can keep marinated chicken overnight in the refrigerator, just need to cover it properly.
- Do not add more water, the gravy should be medium thick.
- You can garnish this recipe with raisins also.