Aloo Bharta is an Indian style flavored mashed potatoes recipe, specially served in several parts of North India. Delicious aloo bharta is a great option to serve with hot Indian rotis or butter naan.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 4-6 medium size potatoes
- 1 onion thinly chopped
- 1 piece ginger chopped/grated
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- Few curry leaves
- 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A pinch of ajwain
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp oil/ghee
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp dried coriander powder
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp dried red chilli flakes
- Salt to taste
How to make Aaloo Ka Bharta:
- Boil the potatoes, peel and mash in a big bowl.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add curry leaves, mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Allow the seeds to splutter and add ginger, garlic and chopped onion.
- Saute for few seconds until onion turns soft.
- Add mashed potatoes, salt, ajwain, asafoetida and spices.
- Also mix the red chilli flakes.
- Mix all the ingredients very well and cook on medium high flame for about 5-6 minutes.
- Finally garnish with thinly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with Indian chapatis.
- While serving this delicious aloo bhartha you can pour little ghee over it and serve yummy.
- If you want to make it spicy then add green chillies as per your requirement.