Lauki is a bottle gourd, the most healthy Indian vegetable, and this Lauki Ki Sabzi is a tasty Indian dish, made with spices, onion and tomatoes.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 medium Lauki (bottle gourd)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Handful fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
How to make Bottle-gourd Sabzi:
- Peel the lauki and cut into small cubes.
- Soak it in water for about 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and saute cumin seeds.
- Add green chillies and chopped onion.
- Fry till onion turns into golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for few more seconds.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, salt and spices.
- Mix well and cook on medium flame until oil begins to separate.
- Add cubes of lauki and stir for 2 minutes.
- Do not add water, as lauki leaves its own water while cooking.
- Cover the pan, simmer the flame and leave to cook for about 10 minutes, till the gourd turns soft.
- Stir occasionally and cook till the vegetable is semi-dry.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve with chapati or naan and accompany with your favorite raita recipe.