Chana Dal Cabbage is simply cooked with split bengal gram and cabbage. The unique but healthy preparation of this recipe is based on the spices you would add. Although the dish is simple and made with limited common spices, but tastes ultimate delicious when is to be served in front of family and friends.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Servings: 2-3 persons
- 1 cup chana dal (Split Bengal gram)
- 1 medium size cabbage chopped
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 green chillies chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced or chopped
- 1 big onion thinly chopped
- 2 medium size tomatoes thinly chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
How to make Chana Dal Cabbage:
- Wash and boil the chana dal in the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and little bit of salt.
- Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add seeds and curry leaves. Allow to crackle.
- Add onion and fry until onion becomes soft.
- Add green chillies, ginger and garlic.
- Saute with the onion for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cabbage.
- Mix well and add salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Leave to cook for 4-5 minutes on low flame.
- Add the boiled chana dal, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
- Stir and cover the pan.
- Add little bit of water if required.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes on low flame.
- Uncover and add coriander leaves.
- Stir and serve hot with roti or steamed rice.
- You can boil the cabbage with little bit of salt, then mix with the dal. This way method will save little bit of your time.
- Soak the chana dal at least for 20 minutes before proceeding.
- Do not add more water, the cabbage gets cooked in its own water.