Bharwan Baingan is a favorite brinjal recipe of every one in India. Some likes to make it in onion and spices, some in tomatoes. But today I will tell you the unique way to make this delicious Bharwan Baingan Recipe in the flavorsome of grated coconut.
Preparation time: 10-12 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
- 1 kg baby egg-plant (brinjals / baingan)
- 4 baby potatoes (peeled)
- 2 cups coconut (scraped and grated)
- 1 big onion sliced / chopped
- 6 Black Pepper corns (Kalimirchi)
- 6 Cloves (Lavang)
- 2 tbsp unsalted Cashew nut chopped
- 1 tsp Tamarind Paste (Imli Pate)
- 1 tsp Cayenne Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 2 tblsp Coriander seeds (Dhania)
- 3/4 tsp Sugar (Cheeni)
- 4-5 tbsp cooking oil
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
How to make Bharwan Baingan:
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a deep non-stick pan and add cloves, coriander seeds and peppercorns.
- Saute for 2 minutes and add sliced onion.
- Fry till the onions are browned.
- Now add coconut and stir continue till browned.
- Remove from the flame and allow to cool aside.
- When the mixture cools down, grind it into a smooth paste.
- While grinding, you may add some water into it.
- Slit each eggplant lengthwise into four but make sure, you have to keep the stem end intact.
- Mix the salt, spices and remaining ingredients into the ground mixture of coconut.
- Now stuff the eggplants with the prepared mixture and reserve some mixture aside.
- Also roll the potatoes in the reserved mixture.
- Heat the remaining oil in a same non-stick pan.
- Arrange the potatoes and brinjals.
- Add little bit of water, cover the pan and simmer the flame.
- Cook on reduced heat until they are fully done.
- Keep checking and flipping to avoid the burning of vegetables.
- Serve hot with Indian roti or naan.