Matar Ki Chaat (Green Peas Chaat) is simply a delicious snack dish. Boiled green peas are tossed with onion, tomatoes, potatoes, chutney and papdi and makes a flavorful evening snack dish that is one of the healthy option for you.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups green peas (matar)
- 1 big onion thinly chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 small potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp kalonji (nigella seeds)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 green chillies thinly chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 50 gms papdi
- 1 cup tamarind chutney
- 1 tsp green (coriander) chutney
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
How to make Matar Ki Chaat (Green Peas Chaat):
- Boil the green peas in sufficient amount of water by adding little bit of salt.
- Drain through the sieve and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, kalonji and curry leaves.
- Allow the seeds to splutter and then add thinly chopped onion along with green chillies.
- Fry until onion tenders little bit.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix very well.
- Stir the chaat gravy by adding little bit of salt, spices, baking soda and asafoetida for few seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cover the pan tightly with the lid.
- Leave to cook for about 8 minutes on low flame.
- Higher the flame for last few seconds until it dried.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice over all on the chaat.
- Now let’s make the layers of Indian matar chaat.
- First of all, fill every individual serving bowl with appx. 1-1/2 tbsp of boiled matar, pour the prepared gravy, sprinkle some fresh coriander and black pepper powder, put 3-4 pieces of boiled potatoes, crush some papdi over all and finally pour a tsp of tamarind and green chutney.
- Toss and serve immediately.
- You can flavor this chaat recipe with mint chutney and tomato sauce as well.
- You can sprinkle some nylon sev just before serving.
- Serve this dish immediately to enjoy one of the best street chaat recipe.
- You can use frozen or fresh green peas for making this delicious snack dish.