Matar Ki Chaat (Green Peas Chaat) is simply a delicious snack dish. Boiled green peas are tossed with onion, tomatoes and potatoes. It comes to a nice comforting snack dish or as a side dish with Indian roti.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups green peas (matar)
- 1 big onion thinly chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 small potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp kalonji (nigella seeds)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 green chillies thinly chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
How to make Matar Ki Chaat (Green Peas Chaat):
- Boil the green peas in sufficient amount of water by adding little bit of salt.
- Drain through the sieve and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, kalonji and curry leaves.
- Allow the seeds to splutter and then add thinly chopped onion along with green chilies.
- Fry until onion tenders little bit.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix very well. Add chopped potatoes and cover the pan for 2 minutes.
- Stir in with salt, spices, baking soda and asafoetida with continuous cooking for a few seconds.
- Now add green peas and add 1/2 cup of water. Cover the pan and leave to cook for about 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Higher the flame for few seconds till it dries up.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice over all on this.
- Serve in individual serving bowls. You can spread some green chutney and papdi over it.
- You can flavor this chaat recipe with mint chutney and tomato sauce as well.
- You can sprinkle some nylon sev just before serving.
- This dish can be served a side dish with Indian roti (chapati).
- You can use fresh or frozen green peas for making it.