Makai Ki Roti is the special Punjabi roti that can be easily made with cornmeal and butter. This is one of the most wonderful Indian rotis that is very much popular to serve with sarson ka saag i.e (Punjabi Mustard Green Recipe).
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Servings: 4 persons
- 2 cups corn meal ((makai ka atta)
- 1/4 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
How to make Makki Ki Roti:
- Combine the flours, butter and salt very well in a big bowl.
- Gradually add lukewarm water to knead the dough.
- Make a medium soft dough and cover with a damp muslin cloth.
- Keep it aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10-12 equal portions.
- Take a clean plastic sheet and grease with little amount of oil.
- Place one portion of the dough on a greasy plastic sheet and make a 4 inch roti with your hands.
- Heat a tawa and drizzle some oil.
- Place the rolled out makai roti over the hot tawa and spread little bit of oil all around.
- Cook the roti on medium high flame for a minute and turn to stir fry from the other side as well.
- Cook until makai ki roti becomes crunchy and light golden brown in color.
- Spread some oil and serve piping hot with sarson ka saag.
- Makai ki roti is great to serve piping hot because after keeping it even for sometime makes it dry and hard, which is not good idea to serve.
- You may apply little amount of butter over the cooked makai ki roti and serve yummy.