Indian Cooking Glossary is an easy way to get the information about the Indian names of various cooking ingredients such as pulses, grains, dry fruits, dairy products and so on. We are presenting a comprehensive glossary of every Indian food item with their English names and categories. You can easily search for the Indian/Hindi name and their English terms as under:
Indian Food Dictionary:
Following are some of the Indian Names of spices, fruits, glossary and Dairy products. Here is a detailed description of categories with their Famous Indian Names and how they are called in English Names:
Indian Spices and Masala:
- Ajwain is called as carom seeds/Thyme.
- Amchoor is called as Dried Mango Powder.
- Anaar Dana is called as Pomegranate Seeds.
- Dalchini is called as Cinnamon.
- Dhania Powder is called as Coriander Powder.
- Small Elaichi is called as Green Cardamoms.
- Big Elaichi is called as Brown/Black Cardamoms.
- Hing is called as Asafoetida.
- Javitri is called as Mace.
- Jaiphal is called as Nutmeg.
- Jeera is called as Cumin Seed.
- Kala Jeera / Black Cumin Seeds is called as Caraway Seeds.
- Kala Namak is called as Rock Salt.
- Kali Mirch is called as Black Pepper.
- Laung is called as Cloves.
- Dried Methi is called as Fenugreek Seeds.
- Raai / Raee is called as Mustard Seeds.
- Sarson is called as Mustard Seeds.
- Saunf is called as Aniseed/Fennel Seeds.
- Tej Patta is called as Bay Leaf.
- Angoor is called as Grapes.
- Chikoo is called as Sapota.
- Kela is called as Banana.
- Santra is called as Orange.
- Amrood is called as Guava.
- Papeeta is called as Papaya.
- Nashpati is called as pear.
- Ananas is called as Pineapple.
- Mosambi is called as Sweet Lime.
- Tarbooj, Kalingad is called as Watermelon.
- Aam is called as Mango.
- Atta is called as Wheat Flour.
- Besan is called as Bengal gram flour/gram flour.
- Maida is called as all-purpose flour/Refined flour/Fine Wheat Flour.
- Wheat is called as Gehun
- Badam is known as Almonds.
- Chhuara is known as Dried Dates.
- Kaju is known as Cashew Nut.
- Kishmish is known as raisins/Currants.
- Akrot is called as Walnut.
- Pista/Green Piste are called as Pistachio.
- Moong Fali is known as Peanuts/Whole Groundnuts.
- Khajur called as Dates.
- Khumani is called as Apricot.
- Bhutta is known as Corns/Corn Cobs.
- Dhania Patta is known as Coriander Leaves.
- Hari Mirch is known as Green Chillies.
- Kari Patta is known as Curry Leaves.
- Kheera is known as Cucumber.
- Kaddu is known as Pumpkin.
- Lasan / Lahsun is known as Garlic.
- Adrak is called as ginger.
- Mirch is called as Chilly.
- Pudina Leaves are known as Mint Leaves.
- Patta Gobi is known as Cabbage.
- Palak is known as Spinach.
- Phool Gobi is known as Cauliflower.
- Shimla Mirch is known as Capsicum.
Flour and Pulses:
- Chana are known as Split Bengal Gram.
- Chana Dal is known as Gram Dal.
- Urad Dal is known as Horse Bean/Split Black Gram/Sabut.
- Chawli/Lobhia is known as Black Eyed Beans.
- Dalis is called as Broken Wheat.
- Brown Chana are known as Chickpeas.
- Cholia/ Hara (Green) Chana are known as Chickpeas.
- Kabuli Chana re known as Chickpeas.
- Chane Ka Atta/Besan is known as Gram Flour.
- Whole Moong are known as Green Gram.
- Kulthi is known as Horse Gram.
- Makai Ka Atta is known as Maize Flour.
- Kurmura are known as Puffed Rice.
- Rajma is known as Red Kidney Beans.
- Masoor is known as Red Lentil.
- Chawal is known as Rice.
- Rava / Suji is known as Semolina.
- Moong Dal is known as Split Green Gram.
- Arhar Dal/Toovar Dal is known as Split Red Gram.
- Masoor is known as Split Red Lentil.
- Dahi is known as yogurt/Curd.
- Ghee is known as Clarified Butter.
- Khoya/ Mawa is known as Dried Whole Milk/Thickened Milk.
- Malai is known as Cream/Fresh Cream.
- Mattha (Chhaach) is known as Butter Milk.
- Cheese comes in various forms such as processed cheese, cheesy dip, cheese spread, shredded cheese, mozzarella cheese and many more.
Other (General) Glossary Items:
- Imli is called as Tamarind.
- Nimboo ka Sat is called as Citric Acid.
- Poha/Chiwda is called as Flaked/Beaten rice.
- Saboodana/Sabudana is known as Sago.